Cryogenic Facility (Cryo Center)
The cryogenic facility produces and distributes liquid helium and liquid nitrogen for research at the university. In addition it provides the cryogens for experiments in the test cryostats at FREIA Laboratory. This facility is supported by a grant from the “Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation”. It is the key infrastructure needed to develop the superconducting accelerating technology required for many of the future electron and proton accelerators used for particle and material physics such as free electron lasers and high intensity proton accelerators.
Annually approximately 14000 litre of liquid helium and 100000 litre of liquid nitrogen are distributed to users at Uppsala University, the University of Agricultural Sciences and other institutes in Uppsala.
The entrance to the Cryo Centre is either from floor 1 in Ångström or directly from the southern parking lot. A bell and/or phone number are available at the doors, direct entry requires a keycard authorization.
Ordering liquid nitrogen occurs by bringing your dewar to the Cryo Center and complete the order form available. Dewars brought before 9:00 are usually filled the same day. If you are uncertain or have a special request it is recommended that you come down yourself during open hours.
Open for filling and same-day collection of liquid nitrogen: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
Open for filling and collection of liquid helium according prior agreement.
Access with keycard for collection of liquid nitrogen and helium: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
Opening hours during Christmas and New Year 2018
Delivery of liquid nitrogen
Dec 24 – Jan 1 Closed
Jan 2 Open 8.00 – 9.00
Jan 3-6 Closed
Delivery of liquid helium
Dec 24 – Jan 6 Closed
If case of problems with these opening hours, please contact:
Phone: 072 999 90 90
Elevator Transportation of liquid nitrogen and helium must be done without people in the car. See instructions for the transport of dangerous goods here.
- Helium liquefier 140 l/h at 1.15 bar.
- Liquid helium storage dewar 2’000 l.
- Liquid nitrogen storage dewar 20’000 l at 3 bar.
- High pressure helium gas storage, 11 m3 at 200 bar.
- High pressure helium gas recovery compressor station, 75 m3/h at 200 bar.
- Impure helium recovery gas storage balloon 100 m3.
- Helium gas sub-atmospheric pumping system, 3 g/s at 10 mbar.
- Filling speed helium transport dewars up to 165 l/h.
- Filling speed nitrogen transport dewars up to 300 l/h.
- Liquid nitrogen transport dewars, range 1 to 200 l.
- Liquid helium transport dewars, range 35 to 1000 l.
For orders and other questions contact the Facility Coordinator.
Facility Coordinator: Anders Wiren