Seminar: Electron heating in turbulent space plasma
- Date: –15:00
- Location: Zoom: https://uu-se.zoom.us/j/64257004440
- Lecturer: Ida Svenningsson & Emiliya Yordanova, IRFU, Sweden
- Contact person: Sofia Ramstedt
We will give an introduction to electron acceleration and heating in an astrophysical context. This is relevant to the fundamental physical question of how energy is transferred and dissipated in the turbulent astrophysical plasmas. The turbulent magnetosheath of the Earth is a region of space where we can directly measure plasma properties and get insight of the energy conversion mechanisms leading to electron energization. We also present preliminary results from the first PhD study which are based on observations from the multi-point Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) spacecraft mission. There we discuss whistler waves in relation to electron temperature anisotropy.
We will run with the following setup:
- The zoom meeting will open at 13.45 so that you can log on and try it out.
- Participants should mute their microphones unless they have a question.
- Questions are allowed during the talk. Just raise your hand in the zoom app.
- After the talk has finished, unmute for applause.
- If possible, keep your video on during the full seminar so that the speaker gets visual feedback while talking.
- Questions after the talk will be administered as follows; raise your hand in the app and Sofia will chair and give the word.
- Finally, after the talk and question sessions are finished, the meeting will remain open for an informal ”bring-your-own-fika” if you want to hang around and chat with your colleagues and the speaker. The faculty will meet in a break-out room.