The entry requirements for postgraduate education are as follows:
- General entry requirement, i.e. a degree at advanced level (Master's level) or fulfill the requirements for courses comprising of at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits are at advanced level (Master's level) or the equivalent.
- Specific entry requirement, i.e. knowledge gained from university education or equivalent or specific vocational experience.
- The applicant must be judged to have the ability needed to complete the postgraduate education.
The head of the department of the subject/specialization accepts doctoral students. Doctoral students with other funding than employment as doctoral student at Uppsala University, i.e. industry-based doctoral students, students with their own funds (such as scholarships), students employed at another higher education institution, part-time students, and licentiate students, are accepted by the Faculty Board on the recommendation of the Postgraduate Education Board.
Admission is decided after consultation with the supervisors at the department. The admission decision shall specify research professor and supervisors (at least two). One of these must be appointed as main supervisor. An individual study plan should be drawn up in connection with an admission.
The study plan consists of three parts: one general study plan, one Subject curriculum and one individual study plan. The individual study plan the student establishes together with his/her supervisor and the other two are found on the Faculty of Science and Technology’s website. There you may also find general information on postgraduate studies at the faculty.
The PhD student ombudsmen are two PhD students employed by the Department of Physics and Astronomy to help the PhD students with any issues regarding financing, terms of employment, harassment, discrimination and problems with the supervisor or colleagues. The ombudsmen will never disclose any information or details unless given explicit permission by the PhD student in question. The ombudsmen are also responsible for organizing and chairing the PhD student council.
After the Education
A postgraduate exam in physics makes possible both a career in research and a professional life outside the university.
Disputations and Licentiate Defenses
Dissertations are listed in DiVA.Calendar RSS Subscribe to calendar
Please follow these instructions to subscribe to the calendar in Outlook on Windows:
- Copy the calendar link.
- Switch to the calendar view in Outlook.
- Right click My calendars (or Other calendars), select Add calendar, select From Internet.
- In the dialogue that pops up, paste the calendar link.
- Approve the subscription.
The calendar is now available in Outlook. Check the checkbox besides the new calendar to view it.
For Safari on Mac, read these instructions.
In other calendar applications, copy the link and then follow the appropriate procedure.
At the moment there are no events matching your criteria